Monday, July 8, 2013

North To Alaska!


 We arrived in Anchorage, Alaska on Sunday afternoon and decided to drive around and find a few things to see.  We ended up at a weekend market with lots of little booths displaying Alaskan made wares.  This is Grizzly's gift shop full of trinkets and souvenirs.
 We also headed to the Alaskan Bontanical Gardens and walked around examining the native plants.  The gardens were surrounded by a 10-12 foot fence with this sign below it.
 Then we went to a bridge to view the salmon swimming upstream to spawn.  We enjoyed seeing the salmon.  Later we drove out to a scenic point to see Mt. McKinley and Cook's Inlet.  The mountain was covered with clouds but we saw the huge inlet and these twin moose calves and their mother.  Up the road we saw the bull moose.  It was awesome!


 We had dinner at a local favorite restaurant Steve knew about called Gwennies.  I ordered the crab omelette because it was made with real crab.  It tasted better than it looked.  It was more food than I could eat.




 I liked the baskets of yellow and purple flowers hanging from the lamp posts in the downtown market area.
 This morning we headed south to Steward.  Our first stop was Potter Marsh.  The entire day we were surrounded by the most majestic scenery.  God has truly provided us with an amazingly beautiful world!
 This picture of Turnagain arm, water that flows from Cook's Inlet according to the tides, was taken in the morning from the car window.  In the afternoon it was just a huge field of mud as the tide had receded.  When the tide returns, a 6 foot wall of water will rush in and fill it again.  It is amazing to see!
 We had lunch at Resurrection Roadhouse across from Resurrection Bay. The salmon comes directly from Resurrection Bay.  I must say my spinach salad with salmon was heavenly.  In fact, if there is food in heaven, this will be at the top of my list.  It was scrumptious. Steve loved his salmon sandwich too.



 Then we hiked about a mile up to Exit Glacier.  We were able to get pretty close to it but couldn't leave the roped off area to actually touch it.  It is awe inspiring.



 Steward was a little harbor town with lots of campgrounds, boats, a Sea Life Center and varioustour operators.  Due to time constraints, we had an ice cream cone and headed back north so we could see a few more glaciers.  We weren't disappointed when we arrived at Portage Lake which is surrounded by and formed by glaciers.  It was gorgeous and we even saw icebergs floating in the water.


We had a gloriously beautiful day and the pictures don't begin to capture the majesty of the green mountains with shiny white, snow fields and glaciers.  We thoroughly enjoyed our day in every way. Tomorrow it's back to work for Steve as we head to Wasilla.

3 comments:

Jeff & Liberty said...

Looks like your having fun! The crab omelette looked good, but I don't think I'd care for the salmon salad!

Jackie said...

I was just going to say the opposite of Libbie, the salmon salad looked wonderful, but not so sure about the omelette. I really enjoyed the empty bowl picture. The pictures are beautiful. How incredible that you get to experience such a wonderful place.

Heather said...

Wow - what a beautiful place! And I think I'd love all the food...:)