Sunday, July 21, 2013

Vacation's Over!

 After attending Sacrament Meeting in Anchorage, we arrived at the airport for our trip home.  Goodbye Alaska.  It's been an awe inspiring experience.  We are grateful for the amazingly beautiful world God created for us to enjoy!  Alaska renders the "big bang theory" absurd.
 It's back to work for the two of us.  Steve flew to Denver on Tuesday and I was back to my broker meetings, showing homes, following up with builders, title people, lenders, etc.  Our market has slowed down to a more sustainable pace.  Sellers are getting frustrated again, but you can't sustain the flurry of homes being sold within a week and having multiple offers.  Interest rates and the celebrations in July have taken care of that problem. I have also been busy helping some "old" friends with needs.  I'm so happy that I can help out.
The best part of the week was the arrival of Jen, Will & June from China.  After a very long trip and a lot of hassle for Jen with flight cancellations, it was joyous to meet them at the airport!  Hurrah!  They arrived safe, sound and exhausted.  (Well Jen was exhausted, but the kids were rejuvenated when they deplaned.)






 The kids have grown so much in just a few short months.  It is so delightful to play with them and catch their zest for life.  They flew in on Thursday afternoon and Steve arrived Friday morning.  I worked Friday morning while Jen visited her parents and then Friday afternoon we drove them south to her sister's house for a few days of fun and visiting.  Then we went over to Grandma Ann's to pick up a bed, dresser and buffet that belonged to my Dad and Aloha and hauled those up north.  (Here come the Clampetts again).  Hilary is going to put the bedroom furniture to use in the basement so there will be more sleeping options for family members the next few weeks.  Ann is downsizing so we have been working on sorting and removing Dad's stuff.
 Jenna brought Jameson over early Saturday morning since her mother was on a "ride" and her dad was at a scout campout.  He loved licking the jam off his bagel.  He's such a cute character.
 Our new stake did a fantastic job of commemorating the 24th of July.  They had a delicious chicken dinner with home baked rolls, salads and corn on the cob.  Then they had pioneer activities for the families that included rag doll making, lavender wand weaving, ice cream making in a bag, watermelon eating contest, etc.  We were pretty impressed and glad it was only 99 degrees instead of 105 like our home to the south.


 We love our northern home.  They finished the sprinkler system this week.  The yard appears to be ready for final grade and hydro seeding.  We hauled some more boxes up from the barn and worked at organizing my sewing room.  It's coming along.  Every day is "discovery day" when we are up here.
 They installed our new lamp posts in front and back.  The front light goes on automatically at dusk which we like for safety reasons.  The back light is on a switch and not operable yet.


 We LOVE our yellow sheets.  You can see that I have patched them several times.  I have tried different options to no avail.  Yesterday, I tried one more time. One of our kids' high school friend's has a son selling sheets for his baseball fundraiser.  I decided for $30 to give it a try.  Voila!  We like them.  They are a microfiber/cotton blend. The yellow sheets will be our backup now. 

 Here are the holes the landscapers dug this week for our mini orchard.  We are going to plant nine fruit trees behind the little red barn.  I can hardly wait to go tree shopping.  We will probably plant them in September.

No comments: