Friday, November 20, 2015

A Bit of This and That...

Saturday evening I was searching for a recipe and I decided to check out a bin full of collected recipes on the top shelf of the pantry.  It held a stack of recipes from 40 years ago and possibly beyond--definitely some from our Minnesota days.  I found a valentine from one of the kids and a flyer from the Little Darlings' Drill Team in Sandy.
With recipes on-line so readily available, I decided to part with most of these old treasures.  Newspapers regularly had a recipe section once a week.  Steve took a picture of this one from 1976.  Now that was a very good year!
Steve and I worked at defrosting our freezer.  He used the hair dryer and I used boiling water poured into a pan from the teapot.  Both methods worked and we had the freezer cleaned in less than an hour.  I like this team work.

Steve snapped this photo with his phone when we were on one of our walks last week.  We loved the contrasting snow on the mountains and the red autumn leaves next to the evergreen trees.  The scenery on our walks is often amazing!
Saturday morning at 8 a.m., we were some of the first people to show up to install sod for one of our neighbors.  In just over an hour, the group had installed the sod on the entire yard.  It helped that it was a smaller yard and a lot of people joined us. Steve helped install the sprinkler system earlier this summer.
Steve ended the day trenching and adding an extension pipe on one of Adam and Hilary's gutters.  He was working in the dark with a flashlight headband.  This should help to prevent the big icy buildup they usually have on their driveway in the winter.
Earlier in the week, Steve and I spent some time raking the leaves in the front of our WM home.  We love those trees except for about a week in autumn.  We missed having a grandchild to jump in the piles and help us fill the garbage can.  Last year, Abigail was our main helper.
 Sunday afternoon after church, we drove back to SL so we could attend the 97th birthday party for my Aunt Coral, my dad's sister.  Below she is joined by all of her children, Diane, Neil, Brett and Bob.
 Monday night, we had a family gathering from Steve's side of the family.  His sister, Kathy, her husband, Brent, Dustin, Larah and Parker enjoyed a lovely meal in a local restaurant and then attended the Murray High School production of Mary Poppins.  Cassidy was a member of the ensemble cast and gave a wonderful performance in various roles.  It was a delightful evening and the musical was extremely well done.  Thanks to Larah for inviting us.




 We were notified this week that our downstairs tenant is moving out next week.  This is one of the photos I posted on a rental website.  It's a challenging time of year for renting a place, but we are hoping to get a new, reliable tenant soon.


1 comment:

Jackie said...

That photo of the mountains with the trees in the foreground is beautiful. You should frame it. Thanks for posting the photos of sweet Aunt Coral. How wonderful to see her!