I hope yours was just as special and fun!
Friday, December 25, 2009
Who Eats Rueben Sandwiches on Christmas Eve?
No one else but us that I know of. We had to drive close to 2 hours to eat Reuben sandwiches with someone who appreciated this Christmas Eve tradition. Steve and I realized that we have been making these sandwiches since our Minneapolis days with Dick and Kathy A. 35 years ago. We may have missed making them a couple of times, but not many. We've been ambivalent about Christmas Eve desserts, however. We've tried several different ones, all delicious of course, but nothing has really been a consistent request. We tried a new one this year and Steve, Hilary and I are in agreement that it is fantastic. Coconut Cream pie from Maddox. It is very creamy, yummy and rich as you can see. Three of us shared this much pie. The problem is that we are so full from the appetizers and Reubens that we don't have room for much dessert. The wassail that Steve and I love helped to keep us warm and made the house smell so good.
My favorite part of the evening is watching the grandkids act out the Nativity as the account of the Savior's birth is read from Luke 2. I was relegated to be the donkey this year but I deleted that picture because it focused on the wrong end of the animal.
Here's another tradition as Jenna, Korinne and Britton pose in their new Christmas pajamas.
Grandma likes to read a new Christmas book to her grandkids. This year's pick was the children's version of the Christmas Sweater by (you guessed it), Glenn Beck. It's a very nice story that teaches about family and gratitude. I look forward to the opportunity to read it to my other grandchildren sometime soon.
Then we watched some Mormon You Tube videos and sang Christmas carols around the fireplace and Christmas tree. We ended with a family prayer. It was a perfect Christmas Eve!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment