Friday, September 9, 2011

LABOR Day Weekend...

Labor Day was always meant for labor in my family. I guess this year wasn't much of an exception. We decided to lease out our Idaho house and not leave it vacant over the winter. So we went up to move out Heather's furniture and some of ours too.We reserved the storage closet in the garage for some of our things but that meant cleaning it all out, donating, chucking, moving, etc. It was a weekend of stirring up memories and making tough decisions--is it a treasure, junk or just something we can do without and someone else can use? We took a load to the dump, one to DI and one to Utah. In between we gave away a lot of usable things to my sister, Jackie, and Heather's neighbor's and friends. I'm happy now that some of my treasures have new homes where they will be used and loved again.Heather's got some pretty macho friends. They lift weights together early in the morning. They helped us move our washer, dryer and china cabinet and put them in the newly cleaned closet.
We called them the Macho Mammas.I used to help carry the heavy stuff. Now I'm lucky I can get on the ladder and retrieve the boxesAfter all the work was done--the house was clean and the yard was weeded and mowed, our new tenant brought a load over to store in the garage until they move in later in the month. We are sad to let go but glad that our home will shelter a really nice family for a few months.
Friday night we had dinner with Aaron's family to celebrate his birthday. Here are his grandparents, Ruth and LaVerne. They were special friends of my parents, Bob and Aloha during World War II and forever after.On our way back to Utah in the "Clampett Truck" we made a stop at the state fair. We haven't been there in years. We spent a couple of hours there and had a great time enjoying the displays, animals, and of course, "THE FOOD," which was fabulous and reasonably priced too. We ran into our nephew, Logan, and Jeff's son, Stephan, who were working for the fair. Logan's father-in-law is the general manager of the fair. They have really upped the program. We thought the fair was much larger and better than it was years ago.We loved watching the last few seconds of BYU's win over Old Miss on a big screen at one of the booths. Here I show off Brinley's winning ribbon on her 4-H sewing project. Congrats, Brinley!We arrived home sore and tired on Saturday night. We spent Sunday at church and then picked up Taylor at the airport just in time for dinner. Sunday evening we headed north to unload some treasures to be stored in Hilary's basement. Sunday night and Monday morning, we went through boxes of papers, slides, photos and documents. We threw away a lot of stuff and dredged up a lot of memories--some good, some embarrasing. Hilary scanned dozens of slides which we sorted. I think that we actually got a lot accomplished. Posterity will be glad that Hilary is helping us organize our momentos.
At lunch time, we met Taylor and one of his associates for lunch near their motel. I watched the kids in the pool and hot tub while the other adults had Tai food. They brought me a yummy sweet/sour chicken dish with rice. Korinne and I loved it. Britton, Jenna, and Korinne have really become adept in the pool this summer. I was impressed and they had fun.Now that Labor Day is over, it will be nice to get back to regular work. It's easier.

3 comments:

larah said...

Sounds like you had a busy and productive weekend. Glad to hear that you found someone to stay in your house this winter.

Jackie said...

It was great to see you.

Tricia said...

Wow, you fit a lot into your Labor Day week-end! I don't know how you've done the move stuff around thing for so many years. I know I've had my fill. Glad you were able to go to the fair as well.