I often reflect on the fact that many of my special friendships have developed through my participation in the visiting teaching program of our church. I guess that I will give Heavenly Father all of the credit for His plan of helping us take care of each other. I have lived in so many places and most of the time the opportunity to visit with sisters in their homes each month has helped me adjust and given me the setting to develop friendships. It has helped me to "bloom where you are planted" or "embrace your place" so to speak.
This week Heavenly Father gave me the chance to serve in a most intimate way. Recently in our ward, there have been a lot of changes made in the visiting teaching assignments. I had suggested repeatedly that whatever changes they made, they needed to allow me to continue visiting Aryls, a sister in her 90's who is not able to attend church. I felt strongly that we were developing a comfortable relationship and that it might be difficult for her to have a change. I learn so much from her "down to earth" wisdom and her tenacity in tending her flowers and maintaining her home. She lives with a wayward daughter in her 60's and a son who has some mental issues. Through our consistent visits, we have made progress with the daughter and the son is accepting of our presence.
In fact last month when I stopped by, the daughter loaned me one of her favorite books which indicated to me that we were making real progress in developing a friendship.
I had a very busy week planned with a few large committments. Tuesday, I pulled into my driveway about 4 p.m. after going non-stop since before 8. I received a text from our R.S. president that something had happened to Arly's daughter. Could I check it out? It was beautiful to see the Lord's hand at work. I sent off a couple of important emails and hopped in the car and went to Arlys' house. Apparently, Arlys' daughter had some kind of a brain anyuerism earlier that day. Arlys had called the paramedics and they had taken Maralee to the hospital. By this time Aryls was confused and had no idea what hospital she had been taken to.
It was nice that I had leftover food from the event I had hosted earlier in the day. I put it in their fridge and headed home to switch vehicles. I didn't think I could get Arlys in the pickup which doesn't have a runnning board. As soon as I arrived back with the car, I loaded Arlys in the car and we headed to the University hospital. We spent the next 3-4 hrs there with Maralee, who was totally unresponsive, waiting for Maralee's daughter to arrive from Las Vegas. She was grateful her mother was still alive when she arrived and that her grandmother was being cared for and comforted by visiting and home teachers. I know that it was a great comfort for Arlys to have a friend with her during this difficult time. I was also grateful that the Lord allowed me to provide some meaningful service to one of his children.
I hope that the Lord will continue to guide me in assisting Arlys. I honestly don't know how she will get along without her daughter's help. But I trust in the Lord and His guiding hand. He is truly mindful of each of us. I saw it so impressively this week and I feel honored to have been an instrument in His hands for good.
2 comments:
That is so cool! It is so wonderful to have a faithful grandmother like you!
-Tanner
Can I clone you, so I can have a visiting teacher like you to call upon?
Post a Comment