Sunday, November 10, 2013

Steve Loves to Trick or Treat

 This beautiful sunset was taken from our deck in CV.  It doesn't belong in this point of the blog, but I haven't figured out how to move it.  We love the view from our deck.
Steve loves to trick or treat with the grandkids.  He used to love it with our kids and now he loves it with any of his grandkids.  Therefore, I picked him up at the airport and we headed directly north to spend the evening with Heather and her kids.  We stopped by in CV to drop off some stuff and pick up other stuff.  We were able to catch this cute picture of Hilary with her new hairstyle and Jameson, the cutest chicken and bumblebee in the neighborhood.
 We arrived in Idaho in time for a quick dinner of witches stew that Heather made with black beans and squash, all black and orange.  It was a fun way to start the festivities.  We all drove around the area with Heather so we could participate in the festivities.  Tanner stayed at the house to hand out the candy to the few kids that come by.  The houses are so far apart, that only a few neighbors stop by.  Everyone goes to more densely populated streets.

 On Saturday, Steve and I worked on our flowerbeds AGAIN.  The beds are not a priority to our tenants.  Then we hosted an open house and Steve filled the back of the pickup with more treasures from our garage storage closet.
 It was such a beautiful weekend that we planted some flowers in Heather's yard and helped clean out the garden boxes.  I believe we did that on Friday while the other kids were in school.  You can see that Quinn was our helper.


 We also decided to make good use of all the pumpkins Heather had purchased.  I cut them up and cooked them just like I used to do years ago.  We made a couple of batches of pumpkin bread and some wonderful pumpkin cookies.  Heather froze the rest for future goodies.


 Aaron arrived home from his business trip very early on Sunday morning.  It was stake conference and Tanner was assigned to be a youth speaker.  As you might have guessed, he did a fabulous job.  We were so proud of him.  Jantzen and Anna were also among a few children selected from throughout the stake to sing in a children's chorus.  Their performance was inspiring and tender and brought tears to our eyes.  We were so very happy that we were able to witness our grandchildren's testimonies in action.  There was a visiting Seventy from the General Authorities of our church named Kent Allen.  Elder Allen was also very inspiring.  It was a wonderful meeting.

 Since Aaron's father is the stake president, they hosted the Allens for lunch after the meeting. Along with Heather and Aaron's family, we were invited to join in.  Aaron's parents are always so gracious to include us and we enjoyed getting better acquainted with the Allens.
 We drove back to CV that evening so we could unload our stuff in the barn.  We weren't really prepared when we left the 50-60 degree weather up north, to find 3-4 inches of snow in our yard in CV.  We stayed overnight and unloaded our truck in the morning.
 Of course, we had to catch up on the things we missed with Hilary and Adam's family. 


 Steve returned home from his trip to California in time for us to host our River Sisters group for dinner on Thursday.  It was the first time we have had non-related company in our little rented condo Steve calls Little Vietnam.  It worked out fine and we shared good food and a lot of laughs for a couple of hours.  I'm sure glad we organized our group and committed to getting together every other month for dinner.  I just didn't want to become disconnected from such good friends after we moved from that ward.  We all enjoyed our chance to catch up.
 Back in CV for the weekend, we spent quite a bit of time on Saturday, unpacking all of those boxes we hauled from Idaho.  We found a big box of winter coats, so I washed the washable ones.  Steve was happy to find a good one since his best Case coat was inadvertently left in the back seat of a rental car somewhere between Wisconsin and California. A coat and a cape from years back should look like new once the dry cleaners get finished.
 We unpacked a couple of boxes of my dad's law books, more records, our china, bronze silverware from Thailand that my grandmother had purchased on an Asian trip and given to my mother.  We put everything away so now the barn looks better too.



2 comments:

Jeff & Liberty said...

Wow! Cool silverware!

Jackie said...

I love the sunset. I love the chicken. Oh I love all of them. They look fun. I love that you blog and it gives me a chance to catch up on your life happenings. Mostly I love that you are my sister. I consider that to be one of the top blessings in my life. What an awesome family I was blessed to be sent to.