Sunday, May 8, 2011

My Prayers Were Answered

Even though my Dad turned 97 on April 7, 2011 and was recently hospitalized with a blood clot in his lungs, he always bounced back and was determined to live to be 100 because "life was so interesting." Even though during rough times, I had prayed that when his time on this earth was over, he would go quickly and without prolonged suffering, I was not prepared to have my prayers answered just yet. I had prayed that he would not be confined to his bed for an extended period of time. He never liked to be in bed. He always wanted to get up and get something done.
My prayers were answered early on the morning of April 28 at 7:05 a.m. I knew they were answered but I was not prepared to live without him. Many family members had gathered around for his annual birthday party/Easter egg hunt/barbeque the previous Saturday. He enjoyed the gathering and so did we.
Each day after the party, he felt weaker, but he still got up and sat is his big blue chair. On Wed. the 27th, Cathy helped him to his chair as usual, but convinced him an hour and a half later that it would be easier for Ann if he rested in his bed since Cathy had to leave for work. That afternoon his sister Coral was brought by her son, Bob, and daughter, Diane, for a sweet visit. I arrived after they left and helped him with some water and moistened his mouth. He was tired and slept a lot.
At 3:30 a.m., Ann and I helped him adjust to a more comfortable position and Ann gave him some medicine to help him breathe easier. We both slept in the room with him and when his breathing became more relaxed and restful, we went back to sleep. Around 7 a.m. I became aware that his breathing was very slow and shallow. I awakened Ann and then went downstairs to get Steve. I felt a sense of urgency to arouse them. We were blessed to be by his side for about 5 minutes before he took that last deep, rattlely breath. At 7:05 he was gone. I was grateful that he passed so peacefully just as I had hoped. But I was not prepared. I hadn't really said goodbye, but I had said "I love you" and I was glad for that.




These are recent photos taken with my dad in the last six weeks of his life. I'm enormously grateful for his peaceful passing after only about 22 hours in bed. It doesn't get any better than that. But I miss him. I am happy he can see and that his worn out body doesn't hold him back any more. Hooray for Dad. BUT I MISS HIM!




2 comments:

larah said...

A touching post. I can see that you loved your father very much and he touched your life in so many ways. May God be with you at this time.

Jackie said...

Thank you for sharing those last tender moments with me. I wish I had been there, but am glad that I was able to visit him that last special time and go for a drive. I miss him too!!!