Sunday, August 19, 2012

Tribute to An Angel

Sometimes through life's journey, we meet true angels.  I've known one since my high school days.  Of course, at the time I didn't recognize all of her angelic qualities but I've gradually come to realize just how much of her life she spent thinking of and serving other people.  She loved children and they loved her.  She devoted her life to helping children and adults with special needs as a licensed practical nurse.  They all felt a connection to her and she communicated her unconditional love for everyone.
She kept track of us throughout our many moves and usually contacted me several times each year.  Often she called me around my birthday.  I kept her on my mailing list and sent her a little birthday remembrance each year. She followed my kids on facebook and remembered everyone's birthday.
I was saddened to hear of her recent passing at only 61 years of age. She had her bags all packed for a trip from Oklahoma to Idaho for a family reunion.  I'm sure she was there for the reunion but her presence was felt instead of being seen.
I wanted her to know how much I admired her dedication and her amazing charity so I drove to Blackfoot for her memorial service on August 3, 2012.
  My friend, Delene Mortensen, thanks for your angelic example of charity.

No comments: