Everyone should have a friend like Arlys. I was asked to be her visiting teacher about five years ago. This turned out to be a wonderful blessing for both of us. Last year when I moved out of the ward, she was assigned a new visiting teacher but by then, Arlys and I were dear friends and so I continued to visit her quite often as she was having some challenges. While I was gone on a trip to Alaska with Steve the summer of 2013, she collapsed and was taken to the hospital. A neighbor who knew I visited her often called and told me. I was able to contact family members who lived out of state so they could find out what happened and check up on her.
When I returned from Alaska, Arlys had been released from the hospital and taken to a nearby rehabilitation center. With good food, care and physical therapy, she gradually became stronger and she was finally able to walk again. Her grandson came from California about a month later to make arrangements for her to stay in the care center part of the facility. He didn't think she could take care of herself at home with her mentally challenged son.
Occasionally her son would visit her and a couple of her grandchildren and her sister called every once in awhile. However, her visiting teacher, Ellen, the neighbor down the street, Jerry, and myself were the only regular visitors. I became a stand in for the grandson in California who managed her affairs. I would text him frequent updates about our visits and her condition. Her other children had already passed away and her grandchildren all live out of state.
Arlys depended on me and was always so happy to see me. It broke my heart when she would take my hand and thank me for being there and say that she didn't know what she would do without me. I tried to visit her every day that I was in town.
Lately she had been declining quite rapidly. She was confused every day about where she was and she could no longer eat the freshly baked cookies I would often bring her because she loved them so much. The last day before we left for our trip, I came home from our visit in tears. Arlys couldn't eat and had trouble sitting up in her wheelchair. I felt her time for passing was coming and I wasn't sure if she would make it until I returned. I wanted to be there for her but knew that the Lord's timetable is always best.
The evening before I left town I sent an email to the Relief Society President, her visiting teacher and her grandson with all the details and information regarding her condition and the pre-paid funeral arrangements she had made a number of years ago. She passed away three days later. Fortunately the day she died, I was on land and was able to receive text messages so I made sure that Jerry knew the situation so he could attend the funeral. The ward did a lovely job helping the grandson with the arrangements. Everyone said Arlys looked so beautiful and happy. That makes me happy. I was so sad to miss out on the opportunity to honor her and attend her funeral. She is a lovely lady and a dear friend. I miss her so much but I know she is now in a better place and is no longer sad, confused or in pain. How blessed I have been to be her friend. I love visiting teaching because it gives us the opportunity to expand our friendships and serve in a very personal manner. It allows us to make a difference. Arlys enriched my life in a very unique and special way and she is a person I would probably never have known otherwise. I love you, Arlys. I hope that you are smiling that great big smile of yours.
2 comments:
You did a lot for Arlys - I'm sure she'll be forever grateful for your consistent care.
Abigail will be so sad, but after the challenges of last week I think I am going to wait a bit before I break the news to her. I am glad she is at peace. 162
Post a Comment