Sunday, March 21, 2010

Is the Sleeping Giant Awake?

I hope so. At least this group has opened their eyes. How did Steve and I get here you ask?
Last Thursday afternoon, the Obama Health Care Reform Bill was posted on-line. I pulled it up and started reading. After 41 pages of reading about "The Secretary" who would have the authority to "establish, regulate, develop standards, utilize, identify, implement activities to prevent hospital re-admissions, exempt, preempt state standards, impose appropriate penalties for non-compliance," etc. all at a budget of $30,000,000 for the first fiscal year and "with such sums as may be necessary" blank check for succeeding years, I became alarmed. I felt like I had to do something to help preserve our liberties for my children and grandchildren. I couldn't just sit by and let this progressivism take over our country.
Since Congressman Matheson was still undecided on his health care vote, I asked my friend Laurie if we should put together a rally to coincide with the rally being held in Washington DC at noon on Saturday. She said "Yes, let's go for it." We decided to meet in front of his office. That was Thursday night at 10 p.m. So Friday we both started emailing like-minded friends and making phone calls. When I went to the paint store to get some paint sticks for signs, the store manager gave me a whole armful. He was excited that I was doing something to try to get this bill stopped. I got some poster board at the Dollar Store and some jumbo markers. I made about 20 signs.
Laurie emailed me Friday night that there was a Code Red Rally for the Constitution being held Sat. a.m. at the state capitol 1 1/2 hours before ours. We decided to go to that one first. I made flyers to hand out at that rally. We got a lot of people who said that they wanted to come and would do so. We were so excited thinking that maybe we'd have a good crowd after all.

Steve and our dentist, Joe.
As we were driving from the capitol to Matheson's office, Steve called and said that there were a lot of people gathering there. I was surprised because we really thought our crowd would be pretty small--just some friends and a few people from the Constitution Rally. Boy were we surprised. There were hundreds of people there when we arrived 30 minutes early. The only thing was that they were there representing the opposition. They had professionally printed signs and t-shirts and they were ready to attack us. This they promptly did. We were stunned and hardly knew what hit us.
This group was loud, boisterous, aggressive and in your face. They had contacted lots of media outlets and there were TV cameras and reporters. Every time they would try to talk with someone from our group, the crowd would gather around and shout and push their signs in our faces. It was very unnerving. The rally at the capitol had more people but they were so well behaved. We started with prayer, the pledge of allegiance and the national anthem. Then they had several speakers.
Our rally was total chaos. None of us had even been to a rally before so this was a shock to us. I thought we would have a prayer circle, sing some patriotic songs and mingle. We hadn't planned any speeches. The "Yes" people had a blare horn and kept shouting us down. I was called a lot of not so nice names. They were trying very hard to intimidate us. I finally figured out that the group was from Organizing for America which is Obama's community activist organization. They have been trained for times such as these. They had their shouting points down. And as confirmed in the news article, they heard about our rally from someone and immediately put out the call to action. They came just to confront us.
Both Steve and I were interviewed by television stations. Steve ended up on the KSL channel 5 news and I was on the Fox 13 news. I was also interviewed by the Deseret News and it printed a nice article in today's paper.
This was quite the experience. We have learned a lot. Mostly we are committed to working to preserve our freedom for our posterity. We've lost a battle today but we don't plan to lose the war. We can't allow people who are so hostile and filled with hate to control our country. We have to stand for honor, integrity and truth.
Of course right after our rally experience, I had to head to do an open house for one of my clients. Good Americans go right back to work so I did.

Today I had planned a little surprise birthday celebration for my brother Steve. However, he got a flat tire and couldn't come up so we canceled the party. The cake turned out so well and we couldn't waste it so we waisted it instead. I will give him some when I see him on Tuesday. but it is now missing a section. It is a yummy applesauce raisin cake from my Aunt Wanda's treasury of recipes.

4 comments:

Jeff & Liberty said...

Made me sad to see how the vote went down last night. Even with lame legislation like that, after reading the 7 Miracles That Saved America, I have great hope in this country.

larah said...

I am glad that you had a good turn out. I contacted my friend and she was able to go to the rally too. She is just as in-your-face as others can be if they want to play that way. She said that she had a good time and it wasw a good experience. Sorry we were unable to go but I am glad that there are people like you who are willing to stand up for what you believe in.

Heather said...

What an experience! We're all proud of you here...the kids think it's pretty awesome you two were on TV and in the paper! Thanks for your efforts!

Jackie said...

Wow, my sister, who knew. I like the pictures, and I am glad that you stood up for what you believe in. I don't think much of the legislation. I don't think it solves the problems it was supposed to. Only politicians can mess something up so badly.