I just finished reading this inspirational book by Chris and Ted Stewart. I want to save a couple of quotes so I'm printing them here.
The first is from a speech given by Ralph Waldo Emerson 4 days after Abraham Lincoln's Assassination on April 19, 1865 at the Unitarian Church, Concord, Massachusetts found on pg. 263.
"There is a serene Providence which rules the fate of nations....It makes its own instruments, creates the man for the time, trains him in poverty, inspires his genius, and arms him for the task."
The second one comes from the speech written by Abraham Lincoln as he bid farewell to his friends in Springfield, Illinois and headed to the nation's capitol to begin his work as president of the United States on page 176.
"My friends--no one, not in my situation, can appreciate my feeling of sadness at this parting. To this place, and the kindness of these people, I owe everything. Here I have lived a quarter of a century, and have passed from a young to an old man. Here my children have been born, and one is buried. I now leave, not knowing when or whether ever, I may return, with a task before me greater than that which rested upon Wshington. Without the assistance of that Divine Being who ever attended him, I cannot succeed. With that assistance, I cannot fail. Trusting in Him who can go with me, and remain with you, and be everywhere for good, let us confidently hope that all will yet be well. To His care commending you, as I hope in your prayers you will commend me, I bid you an affectionate farewell."
I highly recommend this book especially to anyone who is anxious about the decline of our country and needs hope in its future.
2 comments:
I was looking through a D.B. mailer last night and noticed this book. Did you buy it or check it out from the library? Sounds great!
Nice!
Post a Comment