After church on Sunday, the ward hosted a potluck dinner which they often do on the 5th Sunday. This time they set up tables on the grass behind the church. You can see a few people in the background cleaning up just to the right of the "garden". It really is a garden patch. I would love to know the story behind that. It wasn't quite big enough to be a ward farm. The food was very tasty and there was more than enough to go around. Sisters served the main dishes and salads as you went through a line, and I think that was the secret. The Brazilian salad was fun. This event gave the new members a chance to mingle with some of the old timers.
You can see that the lawn surrounding the church is quite large so it accommodates gatherings.
Later in the day we went for "A Walk In the Park" which was about 5 minutes from their home. We went past cornfields and farms on our way to the park. The barns are often made of rock and they are amazing. Sorry I didn't get a picture of one. The church is less than 5 minutes the other direction.

Here's Jessica climbing one of the many trees they have in the backyard.
The kids and I had fun playing together in their yard the next morning before it got too hot and muggy.



Later that afternoon, we picked up McKay at his school and drove across the bridge to an area of restored shops, restaurants, etc. Many of them were closed because it was Monday. It was quaint the artsy. We had dinner in an Italian restaurant recommended to McKay by a co-worker.

You can see some pictures on the wall behind Thomas. Among the famous visitors were Joe Biden and Barak Obama on separate occasions. McKay asked me if I was still willing to eat there. I said, "Of course." Even I had high hopes for Obama once.
This is what I call "garlic bread". Yes, those rolls are covered with chopped garlic. We had our second serving plain. The rolls themselves were yummy. All in all, the food was excellent and the kids were really well behaved. We were pleased, however, that we were just finishing when the crowds started to arrive for the evening. We spent the next hour or two walking around the campus which is featured in a previous post.
Just before we headed to the airport, we made a quick run to the Christmas Tree Shops. Libbie introduced these stores to me in New Hampshire. They are a lot of fun. We loved looking for the bargains and there were some! It's a fancy name for a Chinese import shop. They feature items for every holiday plus a lot more. It is clean and organized which is nice too. I stocked up on a few clearance items for my Flag Day Breakfast.
3 comments:
It sounds like you had an amazing trip. I guess that is the one good thing about having your children live all over the U.S. All the visiting and fun places to see!
When is the China trip?
Thanks for writing a journal entry for me! We loved your visit!
I always liked the 'around the head' braid but have never tried it with my girls. Maybe you'll have to give it a go next time you're up here. Loved the pics of everybody. Great trip!
Post a Comment