Saturday, June 20, 2015

Donut Man Comes Home and more...

 Steve returned from SC on Tuesday, June 2nd, bringing with him a box of donuts from "The Donut Man" his favorite donut shop (which also happens to be Xander's).  He immediately helped me put a few things together in our upstairs house and we drove up to CV Wednesday afternoon to attend the ward summer picnic and to mow his lawn and work in the yard.  Britton had helped out in his absence but he is a hands on kind of guy.  He mowed the grass again just before a major storm blew in.

 The next morning, we were heading south again so I could work and together we could continue organizing our household there.
Throughout the week of June 8th, Steve played chaperone and host to Brinley and her friend, Aubrey, while they attended Especially For Youth conference at Utah State.  We hope they had fun.  I came up on Thursday night so I could see them again.  I was there on Monday when they arrived and I met Aubrey's mother who had driven them down from Idaho. On Friday morning we had to leave early to be in SL by 8:30 so Hilary took the girls over to their event location.  Aaron picked them up at the end of the day for their drive back home.  I was disappointed that I forgot to take any pictures.
 Friday, Steve and I were pretty busy getting ready for the annual Flag Day Breakfast on Saturday morning.  Hilary and Adam came Friday night and were our first guests in the upstairs apartment.  We kept them busy cutting up fruit etc.  The next morning we were all up early to make pancake batter, homemade buttermilk syrup, etc. and set everything up.  My brother, Steve K., also pitched in to help us with the big event.
 Larah, Cassidy and Parker stopped by early and we appreciated their support.  They all have roles in the community theater's presentation of Peter Pan coming up soon and they had rehearsal all morning.  Dustin was out of town for a NASCAR race.  Surprise!
 It was a beautiful day for the breakfast.  Some families are regulars and come every year.  Others joined us for the first time.  The kids enjoyed the fish pond but the city came by and made us take down our bounce house.  Apparently we have to pay an extra fee and show proof of insurance to use our own bounce house.   Folks are generous in their contributions to the food bank.  We always get a good collection of food.




 The highlight for me was the attendance of my friend, Ruthie, who recently had heart valve replacement surgery and then suffered a major heart attack the day after she returned from the hospital.  She spent the next month in critical condition in ICU.  She is now being kept alive with a heart pump and is on the transplant list.  I was thrilled that she chose to have a brief family outing and attend our breakfast.  She and her husband, Vern, have been regular attenders at the Flag Day Breakfast.
This picture of Korinne, Jenna, Jameson and Britton is pretty common on Sunday afternoon.  They all sit around reading their books until dinner is ready.  I'm glad they like to read.

No comments: