Sunday, June 14, 2015

Memorial Weekend Prayers Were Answered

 I am so far behind in posting that things have become a blur except for our miraculous experience with little Xander.  On Friday night of the Memorial Day weekend, May 22nd, Libbie texted me that Xander was really sick and having trouble breathing.  Since it was late in the night, she didn't want to take him to the ER so we discussed some things that might help them get through the night and did a lot of praying.  They made it through the night, but when she took him to the Dr. in the morning, they admitted him to the hospital directly and diagnosed RSPV, pneumonia, ear infections and of course, his asthma.  Quite a combination.  Their dear friends, the Browns, stepped in to lend a hand since Jeff had left the day before to teach a class in China for a month.  Xander was far from an ideal patient.  He pulled out his tubes and cried and tried to get Libbie to just take him home.  He wasn't sleeping or cooperating.
I was unsettled all day on Saturday and kept wondering if I needed to rearrange my schedule and fly out.  Heather's family was in town for the day and one night combining Jantzen's soccer tournament, Lagoon and a retirement party honoring one of Heather's college track coaches.  After everyone had gone to bed, I took my usual unwinding bath and pondered and prayed about the situation.  The thought came to me that I needed to counsel with Steve in the morning and follow his counsel.  I have to admit that I am not always the best at seeking and following his counsel.  It would be a challenge if I didn't agree with his recommendation but I felt that was the direction I was being given by the Spirit and I needed to do that whatever it would be.  I went to bed committed to following his counsel.
The very first thing the next morning, Steve sat up in bed and said, "I need to go to South Carolina."  He immediately went to the computer and booked a ticket for early Monday morning.  It had never crossed my mind that he should be the one to go help out, but I felt that was a direct answer to our prayers so we made our preparations and plans for the week.
When he arrived Monday afternoon, he was taken straight to the hospital by one of Libbie's friends.  He sent Libbie home for some much needed sleep.  He and Xander got along just fine right from the start.  He gave Xander a blessing as he held him on his lap.  Within a short time, Xander fell asleep and slept for about 9 hours.  The hospital staff was amazed and that began his turn around.  He continued to need hospital care for several more days.  Steve spent the nights with him and part of the days while Libbie spent a little time with Sadie and Benson and held things together.  Xander was so receptive to Steve and they became little buddies.  Libbie called me that first day to tell me that it was a blessing from heaven that God sent Steve because Xander was missing his Dad and he really prefers men to women except for his mom.  Heavenly Father knew that and sent a faithful grandfather and priesthood holder to comfort him.
Steve really stepped out of his comfort zone and up to the plate.  He did a lot of things he hasn't done much before and managed a demanding schedule on very little sleep.  I know he was being strengthened and helped as he served Libbie and her family with all the love in his heart.

 Here Steve and Xander walking out of the hospital.  Happy Day!  Where's the wheelchair?

 Eight days later on the way to the airport, they stopped by Donut Man.  Both Xander and Steve love donuts from Donut Man.  This is one more bonding moment for the guys.  Xander keeps talking about the airplane that took Pappa away.  He misses his grandpa.  We wish they lived closer so we could see them more.  We love you, Xander, and are so happy you are doing better.  We love Benson, Sadie, Libbie and Jeff too.  And we are very thankful for spiritual guidance.  How blessed we are!



No comments: