Sunday, January 30, 2011

Dwindling Generation...

In October, 2009 my cousin, Marilyn, hosted a small luncheon for my Aunt Wanda Skousen before she headed back to Arizona for the winter. Here we gathered for a photo afterward. Left to right-Kristen, Vickie, Robyn, Wanda, Marilyn and LaRell. It was the last time I saw my Aunt Wanda. She passed away on January 15, 2011, in Arizona. She was the last living child of Raymond Elliot McMurray and Lillian Wilson McMurray. There were 8 children born of that union--LaPriel, Robert (Bob), Claudia, Aloha, Wayne, Yvonne, Wanda and Glenn. Two spouses still survive. Here they are at Wanda's viewing. Uncle Bill Nibley, age 90, husband of Yvonne and my dad, Robert M. Kerr, Jr., almost 97, husband of Aloha.
A lot of family members gathered on Jan. 22, 2011, in Orem, UT to honor her. She was a valiant daughter of God who loved the gospel and served Him well all of her life.
Here is my dad and brother, Steve.
Here is my cousin, Gayle, his 3 daughters, a granddaughter and his sister, Launa.
Yvonne's family in attendance included Lee, daughter of my cousin, Debbie; Uncle Bill, my cousin Liz and her son, Chase.
This is Wanda's daughter Vickie's family - husband Michael and sons, Rob, Aaron and Patrick.
Liz and I try to keep each other warm. Our mothers, Aloha and Yvonne were the first of the siblings to pass away. Each died at the age of 53. The others lived a much longer life. Wanda was just 3 weeks away from her 88th birthday.
I am flanked by my cousins, Gayle and Paulette, children of Wayne and Hilda and Paulette's husband.
Robyn and Brad are two of Wanda's children. Liz is Yvonne's daughter and LaRell is Claudia's daughter.
Bill and Yvonne were both quite tall but the years have mellowed Bill and stolen his height.
Vickie, Wanda's daughter, enjoys a light moment with Bob and Marilyn Heiner. Marilyn is Claudia's daughter.
Cousins, Lillian, Scott and Kent, Glenn's children, gather around Teri, Robyn's husband, to see some pictures. Scott's wife, Kristen, is between Teri and Kent.
I enjoyed seeing my cousins and reminiscing about those days when we gathered in Oakley to clear the weeds from the cemetery plots and sprinkle freshly cut grass and decorate the graves with blooming lilacs. Then we would eat some of the best food ever cooked and top it off with homemade ice cream and applesauce cake. My mother was the heart of those Memorial Day gatherings even though we lived a couple of hours away. At least, I thought she was, because after she passed away, we didn't gather as cousins for almost 20 years.
I'm mourning the loss of my dear Aunt but also those days long ago when we had such fun with our McMurray cousins. The siblings are joyfully gathering on the other side of the veil now. I bet they are having a fantastic reunion-hopefully with homemade ice cream. Today I miss my mother, Aloha!






































1 comment:

Jackie said...

Thanks for posting all those pictures and taking the time to tell me who everyone is. Sorry I had to miss out.