December was such a busy month, I really didn't think about New Years' Resolutions, self-improvement or goals. A couple of years ago I vowed to drink more water, wear more red and have more fun! That worked pretty well. Last year I tried to "keep it simple". I've had less guilt since then.
Well for 2011, I am just beginning to think of some of the things I want to accomplish. My latest thought process goes something like this...My sister Jackie has been conquering a sugar addiction by eliminating it! Wow, that's an amazing accomplishment. Then I read a headline that said sugar may be linked to alzheimers. Well, I wasn't going to read THAT article. That would be way too depressing. But...I had to admit that I am addicted to sugar. The holidays found me savoring chocolate covered gummy bears at every opportunity. I'm still working on coming up with a realistic, live in the real world, solution to this challenge. So, for the time being, I'M CUTTING BACK ON SUGAR. I'm thinking about Adam's solution of allowing it one day a week--pick your day. I'm not sure about that yet. But for now I am eliminating candy. Ouch! That has been sooo hard. Especially since my visiting teacher gave me a late Christmas gift of a sleigh full of gourmet toffee. (I haven't eaten a single piece.) But I have eaten most everything that doesn't have sugar. I have almost stuffed myself a couple of days because I am allowing anything else I want until I get over this hump. Lots of popcorn--but it's just not as satisfying if you don't eat it just after something sweet. I sure hope that I can do this because I don't want all of you to have to take care of a senile old lady. Please DO NOT give me candy for my birthday next month! Thanks. I knew you would understand.
I am also open to reasonable suggestions, if you have any.
6 comments:
Oh snap! Does that mean your 6 sugar addicted kids should start cutting back, too? Hmmm.
Question- Did you secretly have sugar during those "extreme health" years when we used to fight over hot chocolate packets from Christmas because there was no sugar in the entire house?? Just curious.
Make that 5 sugar addicted kids. Tif always did have us beat in that area and now she is the queen of making sure she takes care of herself when it comes to sugar.
Don't count me out of the sugar club... I just have to make sure I am more reasonable in my portions. I have my bad days too.
Umm, I'm not ready for that kind of commitment. Good luck though.
The cooks brought huge yummy cinnamon rolls into the office today. I was REALLy tempted. I walked past the office, then I came back and walked in fully intending to eat a cinnamon roll. Instead I just stood there and smelled them. It was enough. I left without one. The longer I go without the easier it is--sometimes.
Good job for even taking this one on! Some days I think it's time I join the sugar-free (ok, sugar-reduced) bandwagon...now is as good a time as any...
Post a Comment