Steve was one of the race volunteers. He worked at an exchange station from 6:45-11:45 enduring rain, wind, cold, etc. Jen and I followed the runners until we located both Taylor and Hilary. Then Jen rode in Taylor's van and I drove ahead to cheer first Hilary and then Taylor throughout their final runs. It was an awesome experience. I was so proud of my kids for their hard work and endurance! They did a fantastic job! I am a Proud Mama!
Today, on Father's Day, Steve and I were officially sustained in our new ward at church and were also sustained as Sunday School teachers for the 12-13 year old class. Later that afternoon we went to visit my 95-year old father. We had a delicious dinner together. Here I am with my Dad and my older brother, Steve. I am so grateful for my father. He is a man of integrity, loyalty and a true disciple of Christ. He has no guile. I am also grateful for a husband who has those same qualities. He is a great father and I love him.
Sunday, June 21, 2009
Proud Mama!
Wasatch Back! What is it? It's kind of a long crazy relay where 12 member teams run through the mountains for over 180 miles ending in Park City. They started at various times on Friday and ran throughout the day and night in the rain, cold, heat, sun, etc. and ending sometime on Saturday afternoon. Both Hilary and Taylor participated in this amazing event. There were over 1000 teams competing.
Hilary is waking up after about an hour and 1/2 of sleep Friday night. She is preparing for the last leg she will run starting about 8 a.m. on Sat.
When Jen and I arrived at this handoff station, we located Taylor just waking up from his short nap. He had run his last leg at midnight and would now run two consecutive legs starting a little after 8 a.m. He ran an extra leg for a team member who developed severe blisters.
Here Hilary starts out on her last leg and takes the bracelet from team member, Griggs.
Here Taylor passes the exchange point and begins a very steep climb for the next 3-4 miles.
Here's the view from the top of the mountain that every team had to conquer. This looks down on the town of Midway that they just ran through.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Wow! That race sounded HARD! I am glad that there are people out there who really love to run in those kinds of races. I can certainly appreciate all of their hard work! Congratulations to Taylor and Hilary!
I would never have survived that. Go Hil and Tay!
WOW
Post a Comment